This is a round-up of classes I’ve taken taught by black creators, each one offers specific techniques and skills. They also go deeper into their creative process. They guide you into their entire workflow and the variety of art you can make with the tips they give can be outstanding.
- Writing for Expression: How to Make Your Words More Artful & Lyrical by Hanif Abdurraqib
- Digital Illustration for All: Discover, Cultivate and Share Your Unique Personal Style by Laci Jordan – (Illustrator.)
- Illustration in Action: Creating Stylized Portraits by Andrea Pippins (Photoshop)
- Learn to Create a Cohesive Series of Illustrations by Aurélia Durand (Photoshop)
- Drawing on Everything: Discovering Your Creative Voice by SHANTELL MARTIN
- Digital Poster Design: Combining Images & Type for Powerful Visuals by Temi Coker (Photoshop)
- Writing for Self-Discovery: 6 Journaling Prompts for Gratitude and Growth by Yasmine Cheyenn
- Podcasting Secrets: How to Start Your Own Podcast by Nicaila Matthews Okome – I always refer people to this class when they want to start a podcast and her blog is a treasure trove of resources.
Unsurprisingly there aren’t that many, at least in the illustration and art categories. These are the ones I’ve watched and kept in my lists.
If you need to take a break from the news but you still want to support black artists you can sign up for a free trial and take a couple of these classes. With their guidance something amazing will come from your hands and your creativity.
No affiliate links in this post. Skillshare offers a 2 month free trial.