Here is an ongoing page of useful resources I use.
Some of these are affiliate links.
Here is a run down of the materials I use to create my paintings:
- White Nights Watercolor 36 color set
- Cotman watercolor brushes in sizes 6, 10
- One Princeton synthetic brush size 16
- For paper I love Fabriano Artístico.
- Sketchbook: I recently discovered Bee Paper Company Super Deluxe Mixed Media. It takes watercolor beautifully. It’s great for painting flowy florals such as this one.
I also favor Strathmore 400 Series.
For more precise realistic watercolor, such as glazing and layering, I don’t need expensive paper, the canson XL series will work perfectly well.
I pay for Photoshop CC, Creative Cloud Package.
I have an Epson Perfection V370.
- Trust the Process For it’s beautiful and soothing approach to creativity.
- Watercolor for Urban Sketching I love his watercolor work.
- The Urban Sketcher Marc is from Montreal. If you visit his blog Citizen Sketcher you’ll become obsessed by his watercoloring!
- Big Magic I know every one has read this, but if you’re ever in a rough self-doubting patch, open it on any page and you’ll feel better!
- Art and Fear like Trust the Process, the authors understand perfectly the turbulence of art making and give you a new perspective.
- Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers
When one says “I’m self taught”, we’re not being accurate. I have taught myself watching other people’s techniques.
You can find a list of classes I’ve completed on this page.