Flowarte is a Studio of Possibility
Created by Luisa Fernanda Niño, an artist and writer living in Montreal Canada.
Hello Dear Fellow Artist
If you have been building your art skills for a while you probably wonder, OK, where am I going with this? Maybe you have piles of work and too many art supplies. Maybe you feel like you have to keep learning more and more techniques, maybe you feel like you’ll never be as good as ______ on Instagram.
I’ve been there. I have created piles of work that ultimately went to the recycling bin because it was not what I wanted to make.
I got caught in the Skillshare binge-watching cycle thinking I needed to learn this and that so my work became “good”. I tried to sell my work too early, I tried prints, dropshipping, Society6 you name it, but it kept taking me down roads I wasn’t too enthusiastic about.
One day I took a step back
I decided to reclaim my creative independence. I wrote a 30 page document to help me refocus and since then, my work changed. I am now more honest with myself about which pieces work and which don’t.
I write for for these inquisitive autodidact artists.
Those who are beyond the “ I didn’t go to art school” lament, those of us who are self-compassionate but not self-delusional, those who actually read Big Magic and not just created a flatlay with it. Those who are interested in creating meaning and not just pretty pictures.
I’m a post-librarian but I’ve been creating art since I was a kid. I used to write more than I painted. I was published in a couple (sadly defunct) literary journals, I contributed to independent magazines and online publications in Mexico and here in Montreal. In 2014 I bought a watercolour set on a whim and proved my inner critic wrong by learning to draw and paint. A few years down the line I became a volunteer mentor for Sketchbook Skool and it’s been incredibly fun and fulfilling.
Now I’m creating tools for the self-taught artist to help you create the work you truly want and make the most of your time in the studio.
You can ask me questions via email . I look forward to hearing from you!
I’m truly glad you’re here.
- I love stripes
- My collection of journals and letters by literary figures makes me proud. In my collection I have the journals of Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, Kafka, Susan Sontag, Anais Nin, Erica Jong, Alejandra Pizarnik and so many more I forget.
- I’m quite solitary and I’m never bored.
- No children, but we have a dog we have to feed with a spoon after he was attacked.
- Favorite podcasts: Public Intellectual and The Jealous Curator.
- I have spasmodic dysphonia which makes it hard to speak at times, but once people get used to it, a good conversation is my favourite thing.
- I’m trilingual: French, Spanish and English
- I wholeheartedly support the LGBT community, the BIPOC communities as well as animal rights.
- I love to engage with critical thinking humans.